Author: Bronwen Zande
This article uses Expression Encoder 1. Please goto the newest article Your video to Silverlight Streaming 103 - With Expression Encoder Plugin
This article is a follow up from Your video to Silverlight Streaming 101. It gives a simple introduction to Silverlight Streaming that will allow you to turn your own video content into a Silverlight Streaming application ready for you to place on your website or blog using Silverlight Streaming plug-in for Expression Encoder to publish to your Silverlight Streaming account.
The basic steps are:
- Encode your video
- Prepare and Upload to Silverlight Streaming
- Place Silverlight video on your Website
Encode your Video
This section takes you through the basic steps of how to encode your video ready for SilverLight Streaming.
- Get your video content in an accessible place. For this example I downloaded the WMV (High) version of What is ViaWindowsLive interview from Virtual Tech.Ed
- Get Microsoft Expression Encoder. A free trial download can be found here
1. Open Media Encoder
2.Import your video using File->Import, anc choose your file location.
3. Choose the player for your video by selecting the Output tab -> Job Output -> Template. I've choosen the Clean Template.
4. To upload to Silverlight streaming, your video must be less then 22 MB. Once you are happy with the content of your video and you only need to compress the size, the easiest way to do this is to change the video quality until the estimated size is < 22 MB.
5. Once you are happy Press the Encode button.
6. You may do this as may times as you like until you are happy with the content, quality and player for your video.
Prepare and Upload to Silverlight Streaming
This section will show you how to take the encoded video and prepare and upload to Silverlight Streaming. Previously, this was a very manual step involving creating a manifest, zipping content and uploading the file to the Silverlight Streaming Account. With the Silverlight Streaming plug-in for Expression Encoder, it makes this job much more light work. Once you've installed the plug in you'll have an option within Expression Encoder that allows you to publish your video straight to your Silverlight Streaming account, so it's ready to stream right away
- Get a Silverlight Streaming account for free here.
- Get a copy of Expression Encode, a trial can be downloaded form here.
- Download the Silverlight Streaming plug-in for Expression Encoder from here.
1. Open the Output tab. Notice there is a new Publish section.
2. Choose Publish To - Silverlight Streaming
3. Enter your Account ID and Key. This can be found on the Manage Account Pageof your Silverlight Streaming account.
4. Click the Publish button.
5. You will now be able to see your video play from Silverlight Streaming by clicking on the Preview Tab
6. Open the Advanced Options and you are able to the list of applications, preview them, or delete them.
Place Silverlight video on your Website
1. Click on the code tab of the video you wish to put on your blog, site etc.
2. Copy and paste the code from the tab to your site
3. You're Done!